This jalapeño Spicy Margarita recipe is for when you’re feeling a little feisty. Made with tequila, fresh lime juice, orange juice, and a sassy slice of jalapeño, this kicked-up version of a classic marg will transport you to a sunny, beachy place.
Margaritas taste of fun times, warm sunshine, and few worries.
This spicy margarita is based on my master Skinny Margarita recipe.
It has become a signature drink for many of you and led to an array of thirst-quenching spinoffs, from Peach Margaritas, to Blackberry Margaritas, to Grapefruit Margaritas.
- Spicing up a margarita is as easy as adding 1 to 2 thin slices of jalapeño to the shaker with the other ingredients.
- While you can make a spicy marg by infusing tequila with jalapeño slices, this process takes time and planning, neither of which I usually have when a margarita craving strikes.
Instead, try this easy, skinny jalapeño margarita for a spicy margarita in whatever quantity you need, anytime you need it.
And yes, “need” and “margarita” absolutely belong in the same sentence.
This jalapeño margarita has brightness and bite, a refreshing hit of citrus, subtle smoothness of spirits, all with a slight kiss of fire.
5 Star Review
“Literally the BEST, freshest margarita! I adore this recipe–it’s my summertime go-to. If you like margaritas, this one is a MUST!”
— Lauren —
How to Make a Spicy Jalapeño Margarita
Forget spicy margarita mix!
All we need to make our own margaritas at home, including this spicy margarita, are a few fresh ingredients.
Once you start sipping, it’s hard to stop!
- Tequila. Country songs have been written about it for a reason. Tequila helps the margarita taste refreshing and crisp. Use blanco (silver) tequila for a mild flavor, reposada (rested) for a stronger flavor, and anjeo (aged) for the strongest flavor.
- Lime Juice. USE FRESH! Bottled lime juice will give you a stale-tasting marg.
- Orange Juice. A special addition that adds bright, citrusy flavor.
- Agave. A touch of sweetness to balance the spicy and smooth out the tequila. I prefer my margaritas on the tart/less sweet side, so if you like your sweeter, feel free to add a little more.
- Jalapeño. The secret to this margarita’s signature spice. It gives the drink the kick it needs without requiring you to call the fire department after every sip.
- Salt + Lime Wedge. Salting the rims creates a beautiful (and tasty!) presentation. If you’d like to serve your margaritas with salted rims, make sure to use kosher salt, sea salt, or margarita salt. Do NOT use table salt, as it will taste too salty and slightly metallic.
For a gourmet twist right out of Mexico, serve your spicy margarita recipe with Tajin rim. Tajin is a popular Mexican seasoning blend made with dried chilis, salt, and lime zest. It’s not too spicy and tastes fantastic. You can find it in specialty stores or online.
Of course, a classic salted rim is classic for a reason. You can’t go wrong.
- Rim the glass and fill it with ice (you also can serve your margarita up. Warning: it will be STRONG).
- Add the margarita ingredients and ice to a cocktail shaker. Shake for 30 seconds, then strain into the glass. ENJOY!
- To Store. This drink is best enjoyed right after it is made, but you can refrigerate leftovers for up to 1 day.
What to Serve with Spicy Margaritas
Best Guacamole Recipe
One Pot Meals
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Cocktail Shaker. This elegant stainless steel cocktail shaker is worthy of a spot on your bar.
- Jigger. For perfect margarita measurements.
- Pitcher. Ideal for serving multiple spicy margaritas.
Beautiful Glass Pitcher
Making spicy margaritas for a party? This glass pitcher will elevate anything you serve in it.
Below, you’ll find spicy margaritas for one, two, or a spicy margarita pitcher for a crowd.
If you want to be extra speedy or are making margaritas for a crowd, a citrus juicer is super helpful.
With enough motivation, however, you can skip the juicer and squeeze the limes the old-fashioned way.
Really, is there better motivation than a jalapeño margarita?
I think you know the answer to that.
Frequently Asked Questions
Craving a frozen jalapeño margarita instead? Instead of shaking the ingredients in a cocktail shaker, combine the mixture into a blender with a handful of ice. Blend until you reach your desired consistency. Enjoy!
While the alcohol is a major component of the margarita, you could try swapping the tequila for unflavored sparkling water or soda.
If you end up with more spicy margarita than you can drink, pour the leftovers into popsicle molds and freeze. Future you will thank you for the spicy, boozy treat on a hot day to come!
- Kosher salt and a lime wedge to rim the glass
- 2 ounces silver tequila about 3 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice about 1 large or 1 1/2 small limes; do not use bottled lime juice, as it will have a very off flavor
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice about 1/2 small/medium orange
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light agave nectar add 2 if you prefer a sweeter margarita
- 1/4 to 1/2 jalapeño pepper cut into thin, round slices (use more for more spice)
- Lime wedges additional jalapeño slices for serving
Rim the glass: Pour a thin layer of salt onto a small plate. Rub a lime wedge around the top edge of your glass to moisten it, then dip the glass into the salt so that it sticks, tapping all the way around. Fill the glass with ice and set aside.
Fill a small cocktail shaker with additional ice. Add the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, agave, and jalapeño slices. Tightly close and shake vigorously for 30 seconds (it’s longer than you think). Strain into the rimmed glass. Enjoy immediately, garnished with lime wedges and additional jalapeño slices.
- TO STORE: This drink is best enjoyed right after it is made, but you can refrigerate leftovers for up to 1 day.
Serving: 1drinkCalories: 197kcalCarbohydrates: 17gProtein: 1gFat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gPotassium: 97mgFiber: 1gSugar: 13gVitamin A: 94IUVitamin C: 29mgCalcium: 9mgIron: 1mg
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.
4 Quick Vegan Snacks That Will Make You Want To Eat Healthier
Factors Affecting Microwave Recipes Cooking
Denim And Diamonds – The Hottest Trend In Theme Parties