Homemade Tortilla Chips are SO easy to make with just three ingredients! You read that right – you only need corn tortillas, canola oil, and salt to make your very own tortilla chips from scratch. They’re so much better when they’re fresh, and they’re perfect for game day!
Corn Tortilla Chips
Slice your tortillas up into little triangles, fry them up in some hot oil, sprinkle with salt and enjoy! That’s all it takes to make tortilla chips at home. These are the most crunchy chips, perfect for scooping up some salsa or guacamole!
Make a bowl-full for Taco Night, game day, and every day in between. They are so great for snacking, and they go with every dip you can imagine.
Why You’ll Love these Homemade Corn Tortilla Chips:
- BUDGET FRIENDLY: Corn tortillas, canola oil, and salt. That’s all you need to make this inexpensive party appetizer!
- SO EASY: This is the easiest, most straightforward recipe you can imagine. You’ll have so much fun making these yourself.
- GAME DAY APPETIZER: Level up the game day dips with fresh corn chips for the perfect crunch.
There are two big rules to follow when making these: Move quickly (the chips cook fast) and don’t burn yourself with the hot oil! If you can master those two easy rules, you’ll have party-ready fried tortilla chips in no time.
How to Make Tortilla Chips
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Slice corn tortillas into wedges.
- Heat the canola oil in a skillet. Test the oil by dipping in a tortilla wedge.
- Once the oil is ready, place about 10 tortilla wedges into the oil at a time.
- Fry the tortillas until browned on both sides and crispy.
- Transfer the chips to a plate lined with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt.
You can use any corn tortillas you like. Choose your favorite store-bought corn tortillas for the best flavor! You can also make this recipe with flour tortillas if you prefer.
You’ll want to use a neutral oil with a high smoke point, such as canola oil, vegetable oil, corn oil, or peanut oil.
You sure can! To bake these chips, lay them out in a single layer on a lined baking sheet, brush with oil, and bake at 375°F for 10-15 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown. To air fry these chips, toss the chips with a bit of salt and oil, lay out in a single layer in the basket of an air fryer, and air fry at 350°F for 5-8 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown.
So many recipes call for tortilla chips, and if you make your own, they’ll take every recipe to the next level. And of course they’re a great side to all your favorite Mexican dishes.
Whether you serve these chips with queso, salsa, guacamole, or toss them into the recipe of your choice, you’ll love the crunch they bring!
Make Ahead Instructions
You can make homemade tortilla chips up to 1 day in advance. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to serve.
While these chips are best enjoyed on the day they are made, you can store them in an airtight container or Ziplock bag at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Seasonings and Dips
Tips for the Best Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Try to cut the tortillas into evenly-sized pieces so that they all cook at the same rate.
- Fry the chips in batches of 10 or less. This helps them cook more evenly and prevents them from sticking together.
- To keep the oil at a consistent temperature, use a thermometer. Cooking at too high of a temperature will burn the chips, and cooking at too low of a temperature will lead to greasy, chewy chips.
- Season right after removing the chips from the oil. This will help the seasoning stick better.
You only need 10 minutes of your time and three inexpensive ingredients to make your very own homemade Tortilla Chips! They bring a crazy good crunch and subtle toasted flavor to whatever you serve them with. Enjoy them on game day, taco Tuesday, or any other day you’re craving a salty snack.
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!