Homemade pizza rolls are a wonderful way to enjoy all of the flavors of a pizza but in easy-to-eat, bite-size pieces. This pizza rolls recipe gives you pizza dough rolls enticingly stuffed with pepperoni, sausage cheese, and pizza sauce.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What Are Pizza Rolls?
The best way to describe a pizza roll is to think of a cinnamon roll with pizza ingredients. It’s just like a cinnamon bun going into a pizza parlor! I haven’t met anyone who doesn’t like cinnamon rolls and pizza, and with this pizza rolls recipe, you get the best of both worlds.
Why This Is the Best Pizza Rolls Recipe to Try
What’s not to love about a dippable, golden-baked pizza roll loaded with juicy pepperoni and melty cheese? These homemade pizza rolls are both mouth-watering and easy to make with pizza dough.
Pepperoni rolls with pizza dough make the perfect party food – they are great for game night, movie night, etc. And, if you have kids, pizza rolls are a way to make pizza nights a little more casual and fun. They’re even tasty the next day, leftover and cold!
Supreme Pizza Rolls
Pizza Rolls in Oven – Ingredients
As you can see, you need the same ingredients as if you were making a pepperoni pizza.
- Pizza dough
- Italian sausage
- Parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Italian seasoning
- Marinara sauce
- Olive oil
How to Make Pizza Rolls with Pizza Dough
Making this pizza rolls recipe takes several simple steps:
- Using a food processor, pulse together the pepperoni, sausage, scallions, some parmesan, and some seasoning.
- Mix in the marinara sauce.
- Roll out one dough ball to a 10 x 12-inch rectangle.
- Take half of the meat sauce mixture and spread it across the dough.
- Sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on top.
- Roll the dough into a log and slice it into pieces.
- Repeat with the second ball of dough.
- Place the rolls into greased muffin tins, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and seasoning.
- Bake for 20 to 24 minutes at 350°F.
- Remove the pizza rolls from the muffin pans and serve warm.
Tips for Making Pepperoni Pizza Rolls
- If you’re struggling with sticky dough, wet your fingers a little.
- The dough logs will become less sticky when you’re trying to cut them if you first chill them in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- It’s best to use a serrated knife or, even better, a pizza cutter to cut through the dough. A standard kitchen knife tends to compress the dough rather than saw through the filling.
- Don’t overload the rolls with too many ingredients, as this will tend to make the dough difficult to roll and cut.
- When making a log, start with the end of the dough nearest you, then roll it up snugly like a jelly roll around the filling, finishing with the seam side down. Pinch the seal, so the individual rolls won’t fall apart when baking.
This recipe uses store-bought pizza crust dough, although you could take the time to make your own homemade pizza dough.
This homemade pizza rolls recipe is super customizable and super easy to fill with your favorite pizza toppings. Caramelized onions, bacon, ham, olives, mushrooms, pesto, pineapple, bell peppers, and so many other goodies work great!
Here are some pizza roll variations to try based on your favorite pizza:
- Vegetarian: Make these pizza rolls vegetarian by using your preferred veggies – sun-dried tomatoes, bell peppers, grilled zucchini, spinach, etc.
- Pesto: Pesto, pine nuts, and cherry tomatoes.
- Regina: Bacon and mushrooms.
- Hawaiian: Ham and pineapple.
- Greek: Feta, tomatoes, and olives.
- Spicy Chicken: Chicken and jalapeños.
Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
This recipe is a pizza rolls baked in oven recipe, but it’s easy to make them in an air fryer.
Set the temperature to 380°F. Place the rolls in a single layer on parchment paper. Air fry for 6 to 8 minutes, flipping them halfway through. Note that air fryers cook at different rates, so keep a close eye on your rolls. They will typically cook quicker than in the oven.
How to Serve Homemade Pizza Rolls
These pepperoni pizza rolls can be served hot or cold. They are perfect for taking to parties, eating as an afternoon snack, or even for a quick and easy light dinner meal.
Serve them with a bowl of marinara sauce or alfredo sauce for dipping. Any leftover rolls can be popped into your work lunch. You can even make pizza roll nachos!!
Delicious Dips to Accompany Pizza Rolls
Having too much sauce around pizza rolls is not possible, so here are some perfect dip and sauce recipes.
What to Eat With Pizza Rolls
This homemade pizza rolls recipe is versatile and can be served as a starter or a main dish alongside a Caesar salad or garden salad.
Whatever you typically serve with pizza, you can also serve with pizza rolls.
How to Store Pizza Rolls
If you have any leftovers (good luck!), here is how to store them for later munching:
- Refrigerating: Store in an airtight container. They will be good for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. You can reheat them in the oven for a few minutes to warm up the filling. Note that zapping them in the microwave tends to make them a bit soggy.
- Freezing (Baked): Allow the baked pizza rolls to cool completely. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place the sheet in the freezer. When the rolls are completely frozen, transfer them to a freezer bag. To reheat, bake in the oven for about 10 minutes at 425°F.
- Freezing (Unbaked): Freeze them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, then transfer them to an airtight, freezer-safe container. When ready to cook, add a few minutes to the baking time. Frozen pizza rolls make great emergency snacks whenever family and friends come over for a surprise visit.
Love Pizza? Try These Recipes!
Popular Party Food Recipes
Check out more of my easy appetizer recipes and the best game day food here on CopyKat!
Homemade Pizza Rolls
Pizza rolls are great for parties and easy to make with pizza dough.
Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 6 ounces pepperoni chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian sausage cooked, drained, and crumbled
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese divided use
- 1/2 cup chopped scallion
- 2 tablespoons pizza seasoning divided use
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/4 cups marinara sauce
- 2 1-pound packages pizza dough
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 12-cup muffin tins.
Place the pepperoni in the bowl of a food processor. Add the sausage, 1/4 cup Parmesan, scallions, and 1 1/2 tablespoons seasoning. Pulse until mixed.
Remove each dough from its packaging and roll into a ball.
Lightly flour a work surface.
Roll out 1 ball of dough to a 10 X 12-inch rectangle.
Place the meat mixture in a large bowl and mix in the marinara sauce.
Take half of the meat sauce mixture and spread it across the dough to ½ to 1-inch on the edges.
Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese on top.
Roll it up jelly-roll style to produce a 12-inch log.
Slice the log into 12 1-inch pieces. The easiest way is to slice the log in half to yield 2 6-inch pieces, then slice in half again until you have 12 pieces.
Place the pieces in the muffin tin cups.
Repeat with the second ball of dough.
Brush tops with olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese and seasoning.
Bake for 20 to 24 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from oven and place the pizza rolls on a platter or in a basket.
Calories: 125kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 397mg | Potassium: 125mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 87mg | Iron: 0.7mg
Factors Affecting Microwave Recipes Cooking
Denim And Diamonds – The Hottest Trend In Theme Parties
Good Snacks For Diabetics – Top 3 Sugar Free Snacks Recipes For Diabetics