This keto lasagna is comforting and delicious, and tastes like the real thing! Layers of low carb lasagna noodles, meat sauce, ricotta cheese, and plenty of mozzarella cheese, it’s keto comfort food at it’s finest!
The Best Keto Lasagna
You can never have too many lasagna recipes.
Even on a keto diet, this should be a dinner-time staple. Sure, we can enjoy an eggplant lasagna or zucchini lasagna, but when we are craving something as close to the original, nothing beats these cheesy lasagna.
This keto lasagna recipe is truly a game changer. It’s made with real keto lasagna noodles, so that means no veggie noodles or shirataki noodles here.
It uses simple and easy low carb ingredients that are staples in any keto kitchen: cheese, eggs, and ground beef. It’s also easy to make ahead, so you can freeze a portion to enjoy later.
Texture wise, it’s also cheesy, creamy, and comforting.
Oh, and each serving has just 3 grams of carbs. Seriously, nothing screams comfort food more than this recipe!
Now, the ingredient list may look a little longer than usual, but trust me, there’s no fancy or hard-to-find ingredients. Here is what you’ll need:
For the keto lasagna noodles.
- Cream cheese- Opt for using cream cheese from a block instead of a tub, as it has a thicker texture and no added water in it.
- Mozzarella cheese- Mozzarella has a mild flavor and stretches beautifully, so is the perfect cheese to use to make the noodles. Do not use cheddar or another cheese, as it is prone to developing a film on the exterior.
- Parmesan cheese- Use finely grated parmesan cheese or fresh parmesan cheese. Some supermarkets sell a powdered version, which won’t work well, and will leave the noodles gritty.
- Eggs- room temperature eggs. If you’d this recipe to be egg-free, try using one of these egg substitutes.
For the filling.
- Onion and garlic- Necessary additions to any good bolognese sauce or marinara recipe.
- Ground beef- I used lean ground beef but any cut of ground beef works.
- Marinara sauce- Use a marinara sauce with no added sugar in them. You can also use a keto pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce.
- Salt and pepper- to taste.
- Ricotta cheese- To layer the lasagna and gives it the creaminess. It is like a mock bechamel.
- Mozzarella cheese- What is a lasagna without mozzarella?
How to make a keto lasagna
This recipe is easy to make and follows a simple 4-step process. If you have a spaghetti sauce or meat sauce prepped in advance, that cuts out a fair chunk of time!
Step 1- Prepare the lasagna noodles
Start by adding the cream cheese, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses and microwave in 30 second spurts until the mozzarella has mostly melted. Whisk in the eggs until a thick and creamy batter remains.
Step 2- Bake the noodles
Next, bake the lasagna for 15 minutes, until it just gets golden around the sides.
Step 3- Make the meat sauce
Now, add the onions and garlic to a pan and saute for 5 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Add the marinara sauce, salt and pepper and continue pan frying for a further 5 minutes.
Step 4- Assemble and cook
Finally, add tin foil to a pan and allow half an inch overhanging from each side. Slice the lasagna sheet into 6 even pieces. Place two pieces on the bottom of the pan, followed by a third of the ricotta, a third of the meat sauce, and a third of the mozzarella. Repeat until all the noodles are cooked.
Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown on top. Slice then serve.
Can I make this in advance?
To make ahead this keto lasagna, follow these tips.
Ensure all the layers (lasagna sheets and meat sauce) have been cooled to room temperature. Once cool, assemble the lasagna as directed. Once assembled, cover the lasagna completely in plastic wrap and store in the freeze. The day before baking it, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator.
You will need to bake the lasagna from a chilled state and bake for an extra 10 minutes.
Tips for success
- Make sure lasagna noodles are slightly cool before layering the dish. You risk it melting the ricotta cheese and it will make the overall lasagna less sturdy and sink when baked.
- Be sure the marinara sauce you use is low carb and keto friendly. This means it must be sugar free, and only have salt and herbs on the ingredient list. You can use keto pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce instead.
- I used pre-shredded mozzarella but for the best flavor and texture, grate a block of mozzarella cheese instead.
Wondering what is the best way to store this dish? Here are best practices for lasagna storage:
- To store: Leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator, in a sealed container, for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place individual portions of lasagna in airtight containers and store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- To reheat: Reheat in the microwave or in a preheated oven.
What to serve with this dish
This low carb lasagna is on the heavier side, so lighter side dishes are best. Our favorites include a spinach salad, coleslaw, or some air fried zucchini.
Consider serving a smaller portion and pairing it with some keto cheese bread or keto garlic bread.
FAQS about low carb lasagna
How many carbs are in keto lasagna?
There are just 2 grams of net carbs in each serving of lasagna. This is made as written, including the low carb lasagna noodles.
Can you have a little pasta on keto?
Traditional wheat-based pasta is NOT keto friendly, but try making some keto pasta instead.
What can I use instead of lasagne sheets?
Low carb vegetables like zucchini and eggplant work well, as does spinach and summer squash.
How many calories are in one serving?
There are 325 calories per serving.
More keto Italian recipes to try
For the keto lasagna noodles
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 large eggs
For the lasagna
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a microwave safe bowl, add your cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese, and microwave in 30 second spurts, until the cheese has mostly melted. Add the eggs and whisk together, until a smooth batter remains.
Transfer the batter onto the lined sheet and bake for 15 minutes, until the edges are firm. Remove at let cool.
In a non-stick pan, add some oil on medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Add the ground beef and mix for 3 minutes, before adding the marinara sauce. Continue cooking for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Start assembling the lasagna. In an 8 x 8-inch pan, cover it completely with tin foil. Slice the keto lasagna sheets into 6 even pieces. Place two pieces on the bottom of the pan, followed by a 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, a third of the vegetarian bolognese sauce, and a 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat the process until the entire lasagna is assembled.
Place the assembled into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and the sauce is bubbling. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes, before serving.
TO FREEZE: Place individual portions of lasagna in freezer friendly containers and store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
TO REHEAT: Reheat lasagna in the microwave or in a preheated oven.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 259kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 20g | Sodium: 457mg | Potassium: 173mg | Fiber: 3g | Vitamin A: 778IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 308mg | Iron: 1mg | NET CARBS: 2g